CONTINUUM OF CARE
Continuum of Care Activities
For the past several years, leadership and coordination of Orange County’s Continuum of Care (CoC) planning process has been the shared responsibility of 2-1-1 Orange County, OC Partnership (now merged with 2-1-1 Orange County), and the OC Community Services. This nonprofit - public partnership helps ensure comprehensive, regional coordination of efforts and resources to reduce the number of homeless and persons at risk of homelessness throughout Orange County. This group serves as the regional convener of the year-round CoC planning process and as a catalyst for the involvement of the public and private agencies that make-up the regional homeless system of care.
The Orange County Continuum of Care system consists of six basic components:
- Advocacy on behalf of those who are homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless.
- A system of outreach, assessment, and prevention for determining the needs and conditions of an individual or family who is homeless.
- Emergency shelters with appropriate supportive services to help ensure that homeless individuals and families receive adequate emergency shelter and referrals.
- Transitional housing to help homeless individuals and families who are not prepared to make the transition to permanent housing and independent living.
- Permanent housing, or permanent supportive housing, to help meet the long term needs of homeless individuals and families.
- Reducing chronic homeless in Orange County & addressing the needs of homeless families & individuals using motels to meet their housing needs.
Continuum of Care Documents
2-1-1 Orange County's Role
Our goal is to effectively end homelessness in Orange County over the next decade.
- Our Facilitate stakeholder communication and networking, including the Continuum of Care's Homeless Provider Forum
- Support the implementation of regional efforts such as Orange County’s 10 Year Plan to End Homelessness and the biannual Point in Time (PIT) Count and Survey
- Build coalitions with local funders to expand funding base for community initiatives
- Provide of Continuum of Care technical assistance and education to nonprofits
Information and Technology
- Provide an online searchable database of nonprofit, government, and faith-based resources
- Implement and support regional HMIS for Orange County service providers
Education and Training
- Disseminate information on regional and national homelessness strategies and best practices
- Promote community education about homelessness